MONDAY #1

Monday 29 September 2008

(By the time I post this it'll be Tuesday morning, but let's pretend Monday stretches until sunrise, like in Somalia where 0:00 is when the sun rises and not the middle of the night. Cool idea, right? O I could just admit that I only had this idea when Monday was mostly over.)

I've decided to try and do a post here every Monday about good things. Monday can seem like an annoying, shitty day; the weekend's gone, and there's another boring week ahead. So I've decided to take a bit of a cue from Gala Darling, who does a list of lovely things every Thursday (TiLT) and instead do a similar sort of list ever Monday, of awesome things that Monday cannot ruin.

I can't think of a snappy name for it. How about just MONDAY as a title? Right. Anyway, on with the list.


MY IPOD. I know, I know. Everyone else either already has one and has had one for ages, or thinks they're lame and not worth getting excited over. I haven't had an mp3 player since May or so, and let me tell you, I much prefer having one. Sure, I could act cool and 1990s carrying my old rubbish CD player on the bus, but every time it moves it stops for a second and there's only so many times you want to listen to the same couple of CDs that you can carry about with you. I like giving my life a lame soundtrack, you know? I also like listening to music on headphones, and I haven't even had headphones for a while, since I tend to buy books instead of other things that I need when I have money (which is not often). I also like watching television shows on my ipod - I know it's weird, since the screen's so small... but it's just nice.

  • THE BELIEVER. I'm not sure if it's cool to like this or not since it probably screams pretentious or lame-hipster, but I love it - it's always so interesting, even when I know nothing about the articles it's got in it, and they're long and detailed and the design of it is so gorgeous. I have four issues, and they're expensive for me to get but I want more. They're my favourite magazines, more like literary journals, and I need more, more more more. I also want to start reading McSweeney's, but jesus is it expensive. If anyone feels like making a stranger a generous gift, I would be yours for a subscription to either of these.
  • BLEAK HOUSE. So I had this on my reading list for university and it seemed too long and too dull and so I moaned about it all the time, barely read any of it, and was generally an annoying idiot. Then it got to about a week ago and I realised I should really finish it. I read the last 600+ pages over the last week, like 200 or so yesterday, and it's just my favourite thing now. Clearly the best novel I've read so far from my Victorian Literature reading list, and it's just brilliant. All (or most of) the characters are fully-rounded, distinct, interesting and either funny, sweet, horrible or sad. Often a mix.
  • PLANNING. I start university in less than a week now, Monday the 6th, and it's all incredibly exciting. I need to tidy my room here and start getting my stuff together. I need to buy things to take with me. My room will be much less cluttered than my room here, it'll be five flights of stairs up and it'll be warm and have a window seat. There are massive pinboards on the walls. I honestly just cannot wait to be in it!
  • AUTUMN. It's here now. It's getting colder so I can wear more layers and huddle up in my duvets (yes, I have two - shut up, okay?!) and it gets dark early which I like and it's just generally great. Soon it'll be time to wear my winter coat, and I love my winter coat so I am generally happy about this. Bonfire night is only a month and a few days away.
Other stuff is awesome too, but I think I'll end the post now. If anyone is reading this then... sorry it's not Monday any more, but feel free to reply to this with stuff that helps take away the midweek blues, if you want? Or with whatever!

2 comments:

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Ooooh! Bleak house is awesome, eh?! I really do love it, though I always feel a bit pretentious referencing it at dinner parties when everyone else is listing The Shopaholic as their favorite book :)

Kate @ Tres Lola said...

Oh I so like your layout - very cute.